Children coming into foster care who have experienced extreme trauma, find it difficult to trust the loving adults in their lives. This often results in perplexing behaviors, which require a higher level of care and specialized treatment. Our Residential Treatment Home in Amarillo, Texas incorporates the Trust-Based Relational Intervention® (TBRI) model of care to help these children overcome their original trauma, and help them to begin forming healthy attachments as they learn to trust again.
Prior to our home opening in 2017, local children were sent out of the area for treatment because the services they needed were not available in their own community. Being sent away from everything that was familiar in their lives only added to their trauma. Now, not only are these children receiving the trauma-informed care they need in their own community, they are receiving their treatment while living in a comfortable, home-like environment that facilitates their healing. Residents are also given opportunities to develop and strengthen their faith, which expands their level of trust and brings them into a community of mutual support.
- Accommodates boys and girls, ages 10-17
- Current capacity is 30, but will soon expand to 55
- Residential treatment services are typically 6-18 months
- Intensive psychiatric treatment services conclude with a review of progress at the end of 90 days
- Trust-Based Relational Intervention® trauma informed care is incorporated
- Intense therapeutic services include weekly individual therapy, psychiatric support, and equine therapy
- Twice-a-day therapeutic groups sessions are facilitated by Licensed Professional Counselors and/or Direct Care Staff
- Direct care staff teach residents to practice 12 basic social skills and hold them accountable
- Educational services are provided that meet Texas Education Agency requirements
- Residents, 14 years-old or older, participate in the Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) program which is designed to provide skills and resources youth need to become healthy, productive adults
- Duffel Bags
- Bath Towels, Hand Towels, Washcloths (mostly bath towels)
- Big Mixing Bowls
- Storage Containers
- Plastic Drinking Cups
- Plastic Plates (dishwasher safe)
To donate any of these items, please contact us by clicking here.